This blueberry buckle coffee cake recipe is the perfect way to start your day. The cake is moist and fluffy, with a crunchy streusel topping and fresh blueberries throughout. It’s easy to make and can be served for breakfast or brunch. Here’s a simple recipe to make the cake.
How to Make Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Make streusel topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and mixing until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool before serving.
Serve blueberry buckle coffee cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you want, you can add a layer of cream cheese to this coffee cake. Just spread an 8-ounce block of softened cream cheese over the batter before adding the streusel topping. You can also enjoy the Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake as is!
Tips for Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake Recipe
- If you don’t have fresh blueberries on hand, you can use frozen ones. Just be sure to thaw them before adding them to the batter.
- This coffee cake is best enjoyed the day it’s made. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- For a fun twist, try making this coffee cake with other types of berries. Raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries would all be delicious.
Tips for Making Great Streusel Topping
- Be sure to use cold butter for the streusel topping. This will help it to be nice and crumbly.
- If you want a really intense flavor, you can add more cinnamon to the streusel topping. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and go from there.
- If you find that the streusel topping is getting too brown during baking, you can cover the cake with foil for the last 10 minutes or so of baking. This will help to prevent it from getting too dark.
This blueberry buckle coffee cake recipe is easy to make and so delicious. The moist cake, crunchy streusel topping, and fresh blueberries make it the perfect breakfast or brunch treat. This cake is best enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea.
Be sure to check out our pumpkin-flavored breakfast pastry, as well!