Parks You Can Drink Alcohol at in San Diego
26 Aug Parks You Can Drink Alcohol at in San Diego
Last updated: 8/26/17 at 2:22pm
CLICK on the IMAGE for a MAP of Alcohol Friendly* Parks
You can only Drink Alcohol in about 10% of San Diego’s parks.
Don’t get caught in the wrong park!
It could cost you $220.
Year after year, our precious, consumption-approved parks are reduced. Revocation of drinking can be issued for a handful of reasons. It could have been for something as common as a protesting neighbor. Or it could’ve been from something as complicated as beer bonging down a 30-foot slipe-n-slide. Either way, there are only a handful of parks left in San Diego that allow drinking. Out of over 180 parks, only 19 allow alcohol. Damn.
Are you willing to roll the dice? A few years ago, I was hanging out with a buddy in a mildly busy park. We had just finished college and were cheersing to a solid 4 years. Next to us we had an unsuspecting beach bag with 4 chilled cans. I didn’t even get the beer to mouth before the police officer caught our attention. Bam. $220 TICKET.
Please note there are hour restrictions for drinking in the parks. 19 San Diego parks have 12-Hour Bans. A 12-Hour Ban means you CANNOT drink in the park from 8pm until 8am.
In addition to the 19 regional parks, there are 9 drinkable areas in Balboa Park. Those 9 areas have 16-Hour Bans. A 16-Hour Ban mean you CANNOT drink in the park from 8pm until noon. ALSO: Within Balboa Park, the 9 designated areas ONLY include the LAWN. Sidewalks and Hard Surfaces are not included in the authorized drinking lawns.
According to the San Diego Municipal Code, you CAN drink in the following 19 San Diego Parks
*REMINDER: These parks have 12-Hour Bans from 8PM to 8AM.
- Cabrillo Heights Neighborhood Park
- Carmel Creek Neighborhood Park
- Carmel Del Mar Neighborhood Park
- Bill Cleator Neighborhood Park
- Collier Neighborhood Park
- East Clairemont Athletic Area
- Gershwin Neighborhood Park
- Lake Murray Community Park
- Mount Acadia Neighborhood Park
- Murray Ridge Neighborhood Park
- Ocean Beach Community Park
- Olive Grove Community Park
- Pioneer Park (Mission Hills)
- Presidio Park
- Rancho Bernardo Community Park
- San Carlos Community Park
- Serra Mesa Community Park
- Solana Highland Neighborhood Park
- Tecolote Community Park’
According to the San Diego Municipal Code, you CAN drink in the following Balboa Park areas:
*REMINDER: These Balboa Park areas have 16-Hour Bans from 8PM to NOON.
- Botanical Building East Lawn
- Botanical Building West Lawn
- Federal Building Lawn
- House of Pacific Relations Lawn
- International Lawn
- Mall Lawn
- Moreton Bay Fig Lawn
- Pan American Plaza Lawn
- Recital Hall Lawn
The laws are continuously changing so:
Here’s the FULL Municipal Code
< http://docs.sandiego.gov/municode/MuniCodeChapter05/Ch05Art06Division00.pdf >
Drink Local & come visit us at The Brew Project!